Friday, April 6, 2012

Birth Story (Part 2)


Well, I got my epidural around 3:30 am and felt much better almost instantly. It was great. The nurse said it would probably be at least 4 hours until I would start pushing, and I was at 5 cm. I tried really hard to sleep, and probably did for about 45 minutes total. 

The nurse kept coming in the room and checking my contractions, looking worried each time. My contractions were completely gone. They didn't know how much pitocin to use because the monitor was not picking anything up. I knew I was having contractions because I could feel my stomach tighten up and there was still pressure. They finally figured out the cord was not working that connected the monitor to me. When it picked up again, the nurse was shocked at how strong my contractions were. They upped the pitocin a little and let me be for a while. 

They came back about an hour later and I was 7 cm. Things were really moving fast! They started prepping the room for the baby's arrival and it really started feeling real. At this point, it was probably 8:30 or 9:00 am. 

I had to sit up in the bed because my legs were complete logs from the epidural and the baby's heartbeat was going down with each contraction. Brian and Rachel came back up and were in the room visiting for a little while. The doctor came in to check me, and it was about 9:30 at this point. She said I was just about 10 cm and at 10:00, she'd come back and I would start pushing! 

WHAT?! I really had to do this?! 

Derek was about to go to the waiting room to tell everyone, but I wanted him to stay, I was really nervous. Well I suddenly felt super nauseas. I ended up throwing up a million times and as I was puking, I was telling Derek he can leave if he was grossed out. The nurse was laughing at me because I was more concerned about Derek being grossed out than the fact that I couldn't stop puking.  LOL 

9:55 came and the doctor came in. They took my monitors off that measured the contractions and set the bed up for me to start pushing. I couldn't believe what was about to happen. She told me to push when I feel the urge to push. I had no idea how delivery really went. Between contractions, we would talk and joke around. We were laughing about random things and then I'd push again. Derek was awesome and so supportive. It was such an amazing experience. 

At 10:30 am, the baby came out. They put the blanket up on me and let Derek announce, "It's a boy!" 

I immediately started crying and laughing. Derek said, "It's Declan Matthew!" 

They took him away to clean and measure him and Derek stayed by my side the whole time. I could not stop staring at our baby. Then they gave him back to me. 




We had to give him up so he could get his bath and checked out. Then I went to the mother/baby room with Derek. 

And the visitors started. :o)

Brian, my brother, with Declan

Rachel, sister in law

My mom and Decco

Dad and Declan

My mother in law and Declan 
My father in law and Declan

Derek and his new BFF that his parents brought for Dec









Derek's grandma gave these booties to Derek's mom with flowers in them when he was born and gave them to us for Declan's birthday! 

Four Generations
Our house when we got home. My friends are so cute! 

The first growth progression picture
Declan Matthew on his one week birthday






6 comments:

  1. I am just a random passer byer..but Declan is a cutie! congrats! I love his knitted hats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww congrats new mama! He is beautiful. I'm so glad you had such an amazing birth experience and he was born into so much waiting love. How wonderful! I hope your resting well and the precious baby boy is being good for you. Congrats again mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww he is perfect!! Congrats!
    ( I'm a total fail at updating my blog, lol. Btw, Miss Sophia arrived via rcs on 4/2/12)

    ReplyDelete