Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Birth Story! (Part 1)

Here is the last pregnancy progression picture: 
On March 28, my due date came and passed. I felt a few contractions, but nothing that lasted long enough. It was really sad and I was really bummed. 

So Thursday, I packed my bags and went to work. I had a dr appointment at 3:15, so I'd have to leave work a little early. I went through another day of people asking when the baby was coming and wishing that he or she was already here. All day long, I still felt no contractions and I figured pregnancy was my new way of life. 

I got to the doctor's office and the same old deal- blood pressure check, urine sample, wait, wait, wait for the doctor to come in the room. 

So Dr. Cohn came in the room and checked me. I had only progressed half a centimeter and was still 50% effaced. Bummer. Major bummer. She then said that she didn't like how my blood pressure looked so she checked it again. It was a little high. She wasn't worried because I had no signs of pre-eclampsia the entire pregnancy, but she didn't want it to turn into anything so she would schedule for induction. 

She left the room to talk to the other doctor and said she'd let me know when they'd induce. I was assuming this meant sometime over the weekend or the next week. I just kept hoping she didn't ask what day I wanted because I didn't want the responsibility of picking my baby's birthdate. 

Well.. she came in and said, "Ok! Here's the crazy plan. You're being induced tonight at 9:00." 

WHAT!?! 

I had to go into the hospital at 9:00 that night and they'd start me prepping for induction, but I wouldn't start pitocin until really late/early morning. 

I called Derek excitedly and told him the news. We both freaked out a little and he had to call to ask if he could leave work. 

I cried almost the whole way home because it was our last time with our dog all by ourselves. haha. 

Well by the time I got home, I was having mild contractions. Yikes! (She had stripped my membranes.) Derek got home, we cleaned the house a little, showered, and waited until 8:30 to leave for the hospital. 

Fast forward to us in the hospital room: 



By 9:30ish, Brian and Rachel were already up there to visit us and my parents and Derek's parents were in shortly after. It was hard to believe this was really happening. 

The nurse came in and put the IV in my arm to start me on some fluids and the antibiotics for group B strep. This was what I was most fearing. I almost passed out, but I didn't! I started contracting on my own and they were waiting to see if the contractions slowed down before giving me the pill to get me started or if they'd just start pitocin. 

Well, my contractions didn't slow, so they began pitocin on the lowest drip. I started having contractions about 1-2 minutes apart, so they had to stop it because they were coming to fast. At this point, I was uncomfortable, but fine. 

That feeling of fine sure stopped quickly. Derek fell asleep when the awful contractions started. I went from feeling fine to wanting to throw up from pain quick. I called Derek's name to try to wake him up, but he kept sleeping! I wanted to kill him, but I was hooked up to too many machines. LOL. Thankfully my mom came in to visit me and helped talk me through the contractions, but they got unbarable. So I asked for an epidural. 

When they came in, Derek woke up. While they were prepping the epidural stuff, Derek started to look really pale... then green. He had to sit down because he was about to pass out. So while I was getting the epidural, all I could think about was how no one noticed how green he was and how I was pretty sure he was going to be flat on the floor at any moment. I barely noticed I was getting the epidural, so this was perfect for distracting me LOL. He wasn't even sick over the fact that I was getting a huge needle in my back, he's good about needles, it was because it was so hot in the room and he got up super fast from being sound asleep. 

**** **** ****

I'm going to stop here because this is super long and people are coming over to visit! To be continued! 

No comments:

Post a Comment